Once the decision to form a village society was made, the social committee wasted no time, holding their first meeting on 5th February 1970. Their starting brief was to investigate the use of the Mechanics Institute as a village hall, to discuss with the village churches any plans they might have for a community centre if tentative plans for uniting the churches should materialise and to start a youth club as soon as possible.
The Central Methodist chapel had been demolished in 1962 and they were worshipping in their Sunday School. The old St. Matthew’s Church in Lane Side had also been demolished in 1962 and the Church of England was using the former Salvation Army building in Royd Street. The Congregationalists had moved into their Sunday School following a disastrous fire at their chapel in October 1969. For a time there was a possibility worth exploring of the denominations coming together into one new building. However the ‘window of opportunity’ was a few decades ahead of church thinking, and their situations not quite difficult enough to force the issue, so it was quickly apparent that this would not be the source of a new community centre.
Provision of a village hall would rest with the village society.
Members of the social committee visited Eldwick village hall to learn about its use and running costs and also talked to those responsible for raising money for the very new hall at Cullingworth. This group had raised £1250 in three years, mainly by dances held in a marquee and sponsored walks.